I am a freelance journalist, content designer and editor based in Dublin, Ireland.
I mostly write about music, arts and culture, specialising in interviews, reviews and features.
Over the past two decades in journalism, I have also worked as:
- News Reporter
- Online and Digital Editor
- Assistant Sports Editor
- Arts and Culture Editor
- Online Multi-Media News Reporter
- News Sub-Editor
- Sports Sub-Editor
- Magazine Editor
DIGITAL AND MULTI-MEDIA JOURNALIST
I am multi-media trained and have a strong and diverse range of digital skills.
My skill sets include:
- Journalism – reporting, feature writing, critical reviews and interviewing celebrities
- Content Design – part writing, part UX and part accessibility discipline for writing user-focussed content for the web
- Audio recording and production using Zoom Recorder and Pro Tools
- Video editing, recording and production
- Apps programming, coding and development
- Layout and design skills using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Communications – for more than 10 years I have worked as Communications Director
- The Sunday Times
- The Irish Times
- Irish Independent
- Nylon magazine
- Hot Press
- Nylon Guys
- The Sunday Independent
- The Irish Post
I’m skilled in this discipline of creating user-focussed content for the web.
As a content designer I have worked on a number of high-profile projects where I have:
- led the projects
- researched and developed content plans
- created content and edited to content design principles
- carried out user testing
INTERACTIVE E-BOOK FOR THE iPAD
Launched Legend of Fionn: The Salmon of Knowledge on the iPad in 2015.
View a promo video for the AppStore app here.
Legend of Fionn:
- An interactive e-book for the iPad
- You can read it and interact with the various elements on the screen.
- It’s based on The Salmon of Knowledge, a story from modern mythology.
My role as part of a three-person development team was:
- coding the app
- bug fixing using the Corona SDK
- writer of our slightly darker version of the myth to compliment the aesthetic created by my fellow team member, Rob Hunt.
FIRST FORTNIGHT – COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
I offer my time on a voluntary basis and also sit on the charity’s Board of Directors.
Our media books regularly came in at in excess of €1million in terms of the advertising spend equivalent for the press I was able to generate.
You can check out First Fortnight here
My skills in video production include:
- video editing
- camera operation
- writing and research
I co-produced this short documentary on Dublin’s Moore Street. The doc was edited in Adobe Premiere Pro and also used After Effects.
Moore Street — An Uncertain Future
Short documentary on the 1916 site on Moore Street in the centre of Dublin.
My contribution was as:
Made as part of MA in Creative Digital Media (DIT)
The Road — Opening Title Sequence
Made using Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro overlaying some original footage that I shot, as well as overlays on stills from the movie.
- Capture the mood of the movie ‘The Road’
- Ensure sequence dovetails seamlessly into the start of the film, using images, sound and effects
Effects created in this sequence:
- rain drops on the camera
- sun going down
- clouds moving
- birds flying across the screen
- smoke by the river
All work reproduced on this website is © Steve Cummins.